Monday, June 17, 2013

Lazy Sunday and Father's Day

 
The Bell Kiddos Circa 86 or 87?

Happy Father's Day! Caleb, Amelia, and I had a relaxing day of doing a whole lot of nothing.  I did make breakfast this morning, later MJ and I took naps, Caleb actually got to sit down and play a video game... a real rarity.  Then in the evening, we had an "A Few of Caleb's Favorite Things" feast: stuffed mushrooms with cayenne peppers, stuffed jalapeños wrapped in bacon, some Kerrygold Dubliner, and a Father's Day fave, STEAK.


Caleb and MJ reading a bedtime math story.

During our lazy day I found some time to style the coffee table and the bookcases, which is probably functionally pointless with a two year old, but makes me smile, nevertheless.  It is part of "Project Take Back My Home", the goal: to break up a little bit of Mili's monopoly on the shared spaces in our house.  She's two now, knows the ropes (mostly) when it comes to her things vs. the grown ups things, and understands "No" (although she still listens selectively).  I feel like putting breakable things within reach is no longer setting her up for failure, but letting her practice with boundaries.  We've lost one milk glass vase to PTBMH so far, but nothing irreplaceable.

Going to add some pretty flowers... really anything that isn't playdough looks "styled" to me.
P.S.  Thanks for the tray, Momma!

I'm also working to make our house feel like a home.  We've been here over a year and as of this morning, we still had a pile of artwork leaning against a wall in our bedroom, with no real plan of what to do with it.  Today I came up with a plan (hoorah!) and while planning, MJ found one painting and declared it was "Mia's horsey painting".  So I hung it at (toddler) eye level in her bedroom.  It looks completely out of place sandwiched between finger painted construction paper ticky tacked to the wall and a tower of primary colored jumbo cardboard blocks, but it makes Little Bit happy.  And that makes me happy too.

So I feel like our other project, "Make our house a home" is underway too.  Next on the docket, making curtains using a Fabric.com gift card I've had since my birthday (since my birthday! I just can't decide what to get).  Also, reorganizing, decluttering... maybe I'll get really crazy and actually hang up some art or throw down an area rug, who knows?  Oh and plants!  There will be plants!  MJ and I started growing lavender in the windowsill (Thank you to Caleb and Laura).

How about you?  How long does it take you to make your house a feel like a home? Anyone else with experience taking back your living room from a toddler?  Advice? Wisdom?

Much love,





2 comments:

  1. You are welcome! It looks great...milk glass might be a temptation with a 2 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has picked up the milk glass flower vase off the table a couple of times, but that's because I put some flowers in there and she needs Mom to "See dees flowers?". Soooo far the milk glass itself seems to be less of a temptation.

    ReplyDelete